(Parental Discretion Advised)

Legal Disclaimer: All content is simply my opinion and cannot be used to sue anyone.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Book of the Month

I said "month" cuz I don't really know how often I post them. :)

Two books this time.
****
First, nonfiction:

Deadly Persuasion:Why Women and Girls Must Fight the Addictive Power of Advertising
by Jean Kilbourne

"If you're like most people, you think advertising has no influence on you. This is what advertisers want you to believe. But, if that were true, why would companies spend over $200 BILLION a year on advertising? "

That is how the book starts. :) I particularly liked the chapters on food/diet, alcohol and cigarettes. (I also recognized all the ads in the cigarette chapter from magazines when I was growing up. I just didn't look at them so closely at the time to see what subliminal messages my brain was taking in when I skimmed past them!)

"The tobacco industry is in the business of getting children addicted to nicotine. It has to get three thousand children to start smoking every day simply to replace those smokers who die or quit (in the United States alone)." Scary, huh?

The parts about the affect of TV coming into undeveloped countries is staggering also.

****

Second, fiction:

"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult

I first heard of this story from the movie trailers. I was NOT interested in seeing the movie from them, but the story intrigued me so I got on the list for it at the library. (There were way fewer names on the "Large Print" list, so that is what I read. :) )

The book is... awesome. I loved it. It did take me a while to get adjusted to looking for the names at the beginning of the chapters, becuz I don't usually bother reading chapter titles. :) Once I got the characters' names memorized, I was golden.

I did hear a rumor the movie changed the ending, but I don't know if it is true. If you read the book, prepare to cry.

Have a great weekend,
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment