(Parental Discretion Advised)

Legal Disclaimer: All content is simply my opinion and cannot be used to sue anyone.

Monday, September 7, 2009

funky socks

I finished this pair of socks for my brother, finally. He has been asking for a while, but there were a few people ahead of him, and I did have that dalliance with crochet... :)

Most of the socks I make are with Knit Picks Essential Sock Yarn. This is because it is nice quality and pretty much the cheapest sock yarn I have found that is washable. Usually the Multis knit up in splotches, like on Elise's socks shown in my January 11th post.


click here to see socks

However, the pair I am working on for Olli are quite... different. He picked the yarn, a varied blue with a bit of purple.

When I started knitting, 64 stitches on size 2 needles, it made a really cool vertical stripe pattern instead of the splotches. I really like it, there is a wide purple stripe and a wide light blue stripe, separated by dark blue. I was a bit nervous cuz it came out much more PURPLE than I expected from the ball, but I planned to put the purple stripe in the back. I didn't. Just wasn't thinking, lol.
I still think they are pretty cool.

Here is a picture of the light stripe. (The purple came out too dark to see well- the problems of sun allergies- low lighting!)
This is the finished sock. The funky stripes started again after I got to the straight part of the foot, which was fairly short.

One more picture.
When I started the second sock, I was surprised it did not stripe quite the same. The stripes are a bit more diagonal. Strange, hey? It is from another ball of yarn tho... the first took 23 grams, and I didn't want to run out. I will use the leftover small skeins for baby socks.
Should be fun to see how they turn out. I am about 25 rows in on the cuff.
Tomorrow I start hand therapy, so I should be able to crochet soon!

Almost forgot- here are Senja's knee highs. I think the next pair will be a bit taller. The feet fit a bit strange, but she is only three months old and her feet are pretty chubby. :)

Have a great week,
Anne

2 comments:

  1. I have really liked the design of socks. it is very simple but attractive. Thanks for providing information that how these socks knits. I will definitely try to knit these.

    ReplyDelete