(Parental Discretion Advised)

Legal Disclaimer: All content is simply my opinion and cannot be used to sue anyone.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

stupid errors in books

I have been pretty sick lately, in fact, so crummy feeling that for several days last week I did not even read any books- that means I was REALLY weak.

However, I did read one book that made me crabby. It is pry easy to make me crabby when I feel like this, but still, the book easily could have avoided it by just paying freaking attention to the details.

The book was a romance/fantasy type. Basically a handsome warrior from another world was cursed for 1500 years until he meets and falls in love with.. a modern day american woman, of course. This is fine, except then he breaks the curse and gets sucked back to his own world, to find that only a few years (or seasons as they are called there) have passed for them, while he spent 1500 years on earth. He makes a deal to fight the rebellion that is still going on for one year if they bring his love to him at the end of that time. He fights. Switch to the chick. She is so depressed she can't carry on. They don't mention how long has passed for her, but imply she hasn't gotten out of bed yet, so it can't be too long before the warrior's year is up and she is whisked to him. Wait a minute. I thought a few years passed on his world while 1500 passed on earth? So a year on his world would mean his love would be... 500 years older! AS IN, DEAD.

Now, I wouldn't have minded the discrepancy if they made something up to EXPLAIN it. Make the powerful dude the warrior made the deal with say, "You fight for one year. Only 3 months will pass for her." OR SOMETHING. Don't just ignore it.

Cuz then I am crabby at the book instead of being happy they will live in love after after and their firstborn daughter is prophesied to bring peace to the land. Instead I am hollering "She is 500 years DEAD you idiots!!!"

You gotta explain these discrepancies. It ruins the book.

Okay, so I was also mad that the heroine left earth without even saying goodbye to her sister, when their parents were dead and they had relied on each other their whole lives. Now, if they HADN'T tried to explain this by having the heroine think "Oh, my sister will be fine without me" it would have been better. In this case, I would rather they ignored it so the reader could pretend that she... forgot her sister or something, not deliberately said "oh, she's fine" and left with no explanation.

You know?

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment